If you are a Dominion Power customer then you must know these power outage tips. In case, if you live in an area where hurricane or severe storm arrives usually then you must know how you can keep yourself safe by being prepared for it. During these storms, companies like Dominion Power make power outage in impacted areas.
It is always recommended to be prepared for such situations. If you don’t then you might be ending up facing serious problems. Now you must be thinking about what to do for being prepared. This article contains all the tips which you can follow.
Dominion Power Outage Tips for Hurricane:
We are enlisting some tips which you should follow whenever you get to know about an upcoming hurricane in your area.
- You should update your phone number in your Dominion Power account. If you don’t know how to do so, then let us tell you that you can click on Dominion Power log in page. Here you can update your phone number in your Dominion Power account or you can just call on 866-366-4357 to change your phone number. If any power outage event happens then this will help you report your outage.
- You can also enroll in Dominion Energy’s text-alert program so that you can get all the alerts and be informed.
- Customers are recommended to bookmark Dominion Power outage map so that they can track outages in their area.
- People are also suggested to review evacuation zones. You can use this evacuation zone lookup tool by the Virginia Department of Emergency Management. We can get assistance with this tool in order to be prepared for hurricanes.
- You should also watch official weather bulletins, for example, the National Hurricane Center so that you can get updated on weather conditions.
- If any of the family members rely on medical equipment then you should plan to relocate that if it seems necessary.
- If there is a generator in your house then you should know about connecting and operating it before a storm arrives.
- In such situations, you should always Make sure your cars have a full tank of gas. Also, you can fill extra gas cans for the generators in your house.
- If you have loose items in your house then you should tie down them outside or you should store them properly so that you can prevent extra damage.
Disaster Kit Items You should have:
There is a basic disaster kit which you should create and keep in your house. This kit list is created by The National Weather Service. They have recommended to store these items in plastic bags and keep them in an easy-to-carry container. We are enlisting those disaster kit items below.
- Water: one gallon per person per day (at least a 3 day supply)
- Non-perishable food: canned meats and vegetables, protein or fruit bars, dry cereal, food for infants.
- Battery-powered radio
- First Aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Manual can opener
- Local maps
- Cell phone chargers and extra battery packs.
Personal Emergency Items:
Your disaster kit should also contain individual need items. We are enlisting them below.
- Prescription and non-prescription medications.
- Infant food, bottles, wipes, diapers, etc.
- Food and water for your pet
- Important family documents (insurance policies, IDs, bank records)
- Blankets for each person
- Change of clothes
- Matches in a water-proof container
- Downtime activities (books, games, puzzles).
In case, if you have lost power then you should follow below tips.
- At first, you should report a power outage. Dominion Power team needs to know that you are out of power, then only they can help you.
- You should also turn off major appliances such as air conditioners, water heaters, and stoves.
- During power outages, people should unplug TVs, stereos, microwaves, and computers to prevent damage during possible overloads.
- Don’t turn off all the lights, just leave a light on so that you will know when power is restored.
So, these are some tips you need to follow whenever there is any power outage or any storm event happening. You can make yourself safe and precaution is always better. You can also contact the dominion power team for any other help during such a situation.